A draftable bas relief will be sculpted on a wood board based on a drawing or photo in this 8-week course. Bas Reliefs are sculptural reliefs that have a slight projection from the surrounding surface and no part of the modeled form is undercut.
Session 1: Wed, 3/13 – 5/1, 6-9pm
Relief Sculpting for Bronze Casting
Bas Reliefs are sculptural reliefs in which the projection of the modeled form from the surrounding surface is just slight, and no part of the modeled form is undercut in any way.
With the use of greensand casting methods, students will sculpt a relief in oil clay in order to cast it in bronze.
- Key Learning Objectives:
- Representational relief sculpting techniques with oil clay
- Alginate and plaster molding methods
- Basic greensand molding
- Pouring molten bronze
- Bronze finishing techniques
In this 8-week course, students will be able to sculpt a draftable bas relief on a wood board based on a drawing or photo. The clay relief will be copied intopattern using basic plaster molding techniques. Students will make a mold using the plaster pattern to cast their sculptures in bronze. In addition, we will cover metal finishing and patina as well.
This class is open to all levels. We also offer one day workshops, an 8 hour intensive and summer teen classes.
Metal casting, jewelry making and mold making are available. Custom workshops are available as well, including: wedding ring workshops, teen welding intensives, and more!
- Cancellation at 7 days prior to the first class will result in a full refund minus a $25 processing fee.
- Cancellation at 6 days or less will result in a refund of 50% tuition or the full tuition can be used towards a different class within 12 months. The student is responsible for any differences in tuition or materials cost.
- Students who neglect to cancel prior to the first class will have the option of transferring their tuition to another class or receiving a 50% refund. NO refunds will be made after the first class runs. Please make sure you fully understand what you are registering for prior to the class.
Wed, Mar 13 – May 1, 2024, 6pm-9pm